Monday, May 26, 2014

Save Golf? Part 5

     This morning I was looking over my FaceBook page and I saw the headline "Where Have All The Golfers Gone?"  According to the headlines, golf is in trouble.  Sales of equipment is down and the number of rounds is down substantially. The statistics are not that rosy, and you can ask why.
     Honestly, I don't think golf is in decline.  It is in a deep slump, but not a permanent decline.  It will come back provided the powers at be make some important decisions.  We need to remember that golf not only is is a game, but it is also a commodity.  The rules of economics apply here.  When demand was up, costs to the golfer were high.  Demand is now down and demand is down.  Costs to the golfer must go down.  There is no other way around it.
     In the article I read, the author was discussing the acquisition of GlobalGolf.com by Dick's Sporting Goods because Dick's wanted to increase their online presence.  The whole thing was a disaster for Dick's because the golf market for new equipment has pretty much tanked.  I don't know if the retailer, all retailers understand what really is happening.  The comment was made that they are selling $300 drivers now for $100.  Excuse me, but I am no economist but I am not going to pay $300 for a new driver, no matter what the claims are.  Besides, its the swing not the equipment. I'm on my third driver and fourth driver in over 45 years of playing golf.  I'm still an 18 handicapper and equipment hasn't changed my game.
These are my beauties, and I have had them for five years. I did change from steel to graphite for my back.

     New equipment is overpriced.  When commodities are overpriced, they stay on the shelf.  Its just that simple.  No matter how much TaylorMade, Callaway or Titlest spend in advertising the equipment just won't sell.  Yes, as the article pointed out and I totally dispute, golf is a game that mostly rich white guys play one has to think about it.  They didn't get rich by being stupid for the most part.
     Is it really only rich white guys who are playing the game?  I almost feel insulted by this.  Have the elitists who make those kind of comments ever been to the first tee at Riverside Golf Course in Fresno, California?  They completely forget that most play is accounted for on municipal/public courses.  Golf at this level is an everyman's sport.  My own foursome is made up of myself, a Greek/Italian American, an African American, a Redneck and my wife.  That is what golf is. MAGA, The Mexican American Golf Association, is one of the largest golf organizations in the United States.  Is MAGA made up of mostly rich white guys; NO!
     If you want golf to flourish, make it affordable. Let's look at green fees.  I used to work one hour to be able to afford a round of golf on a municipal or other golf course.  Now, it takes up to three. Of course I have limited my rounds from three a week to once every two months.  Plus, I am retired and on a fixed income. I don't have as much to spend on golf.  There are a lot of us in this same boat.  Let's see, do I play golf or pay my rent.  That's a tough decision.
     Yes, golf is in a downward adjustment. Costs due to high demand have gotten our of control.  Its not making the hole 15 inches in order to speed up the game that will bring golfers back.  What will bring golfers back is making golf more affordable.
     That's it for now.  Hit 'em long and straight, make that putt for birdie.  By the way, have you checked out my new website?  Take a look, it is up and running.  http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com










         

No comments:

Post a Comment