Monday, August 26, 2024

Who Am I?  Writer or Golfer?


So, I am having to make some big changes.  I have asked myself what do I want to be when I grow up.  Do I want to be a writer or do I want to be a golfer? I don't want to reveal my age, but I will say that I just entered my seventh decade of existence. I play golf and I write.

Social Security and my teacher's pension have kept me going for a while and so has being married to a wonderful wife. However, eating Hamburger Helper and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as our daily sustenance is not my idea of living.  Once in a while we splurge and make a tuna fish sandwich.  OK, its not that bad, but I would still like to supplement our income and the best way I know of doing this is through my writing. With this in mind, I have decided a couple of things, so here goes.

The biggest thing is that I have to devote more serious time to writing. What I need to do is to set aside a block of time where I am not disturbed and sit down at my computer and write.  This must be a ritual each day as there are a few things that I want to accomplish on a regular basis and I can't do that if I am not consistent. I have to totally internalize that I am a professional writer first and golf along with travel are my subjects. Golf and travel are my subjects that I am painting and the written page are my canvas.  Writing has been a hobby and it is time to change that.

Secondly, I must become more consistent posting my blogs.  How can you build a following and when you don't know when another post is coming out.  Readers go away from you work, because they can't depend on you being there.  They want new things and ideas to read and enjoy.  If you are not consistent in your posts, they will not subscribe and think that you have fallen into a cenote in the Yucatan, drowning in that cenote. Well, maybe not that but they won't come back if there are no new posts on a regular basis 

Here is my plan.  I will post hopefully three times a week, most likely Monday, Wednesday and Friday so watch for it.  The Golf Course Travel Bag will be my main blog but I will also try to get a couple of my other blogs such as Golf Is For Couples and David Rallis Writes up and running in this mix. Posts will not only be about my thoughts on different aspects and topics in the game of golf, but I will also share some of the observations about some of the over 250 courses I have played. What was it like to play some of the wonderful courses I have played such as Pacific Grove in the Monterey area?  What are some of the hidden gem golf courses I have played such as Oceanside Muni? I will share that with you.

I have a lot to write about and there is more to come so I hope you will join me on this literary journey. I am also making arrangements to do some affiliate marketing through my blogs so I hope you will support me with that as well. My goal is to get my readership up to at least 10,000 hits a month and a subscribers list of about the same size.  I know it will take time so please help me on this.  I would appreciate it so don't forget to hit the follower's button on the blog.

I don't know if any of you know this but I do have a website.  The web address is http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com and is basically a course directory.  The unique thing about it is the courses listed in it are all courses I have personally played and some personal comments about what I thought about that course.  They are basically courses on the West Coast, but I have played in Florida and some other places as well. Again, I hope to have some affiliate marketing on that site and please visit as well as subscribe to the site.  I am in the process of updating the website with a few courses that I have played since I last updated it.  

To those of you who have read my blog when I publish, I want to say a hearty Thank You. I hope to welcome many more readers into the Golf Course Travel Bag blog family.  Please don't forget to hit the followers button and thank you for reading, I'll


see you soon. 



 

1 comment:

  1. RDR's 18th hole-"a bridge of sighs" you need a perfect drive on this finisher. Good luck

    ReplyDelete