Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Monterey Sunday--No Golf

     It was hot in Merced on Sunday, 108 to be exact. What do you do in Merced when the mercury soars to 108?  You try to escape the heat and go somewhere where it is much cooler. If you can't do that, your only alternative is to find a swimming pool and dive in or just hole up in an air conditioned house or apartment, crank up the cool,  turn on the TV and watch a good movie or baseball game. Don't watch soccer, its a communist plot to take over the world (LOL). Playing golf in this heat is not the best of options, although I have done that. Denise did question my sanity.
     It was Denise and my first wedding anniversary on Sunday and we were invited to go to Monterey with some friends for the day.  I'm not going to go into specifics about the trip.  If you want to read about it, you can go to my travel blog at http://travelthewestwithdave.blogspot.com and find the description there. The couple we went with don't play golf and we didn't go there to play.  Let's just say that it was killing me being in Monterey and not playing.  It has been a while since I have played there. It was almost torture, but I behaved.
     I will state the obvious here.  As most golfers know, the Monterey area has a lot of golf courses. Most people think of the 17 Mile Drive courses specifically when they think of Monterey, but there are many other world class courses that not many golfers are aware of. What many people really don't know is that there are many affordable courses in the area that are well worth playing.  
     How many of you know what I am talking about when I say "The Poor Man's Pebble Beach"? For those of you who don't, I'm talking about Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Course.  This course rates as one of my favorite golf courses on the planet. It is unique in many ways that a lot of people don't know like it is the only course in the world (that I know of or have been told about) that begins with two par threes, then two par fours and then two par fives right in a row. The course starts by the front nine winding above Pacific Grove and then the back nine plays in the dunes across the street from the ocean below the Pt. Pinos Lighthouse.  Each whole has its own breathtaking view of the ocean and it is really exciting hearing the roar of the surf as you play each hole. Should you play it, make sure you play on a calm day.
     I do have a course that I feel very special about and that is Monterey Pines.  I hesitate to write or talk about this course because it is probably the best kept secret in Monterey.  Most of the local people in Monterey know the course as "The Navy Course"as it is on the grounds of The Naval Post Graduate School and was a military course.The course is short, but a lot of fun to play and I will warn you not to underestimate it.  It can be very tricky.  The great thing about it is that it is always in great condition and is very affordable to play.  The views of Monterey from some of the holes are wonderful.
     From Santa Cruz in the north over to Gilroy, Holister and Salinas in the west and down to Monterey in the south there is a lot of outstanding golf in this area of California.  There are a lot of hidden gems here that I encourage you to check out. 
     You can find a listing of the courses in the Monterey area that I have played with a short description and the course's websites by going to my website and clicking on "Course Directory" and the "Monterey Area" tab.Check it out by going to http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com. Check out all the courses and information along with photos.
      Until next time, hit 'em long and straight.  Don't leave that birdie putt short.
Pacific Grove Golf course is right across the street from here. The views from the course will take your breath away.


















No comments:

Post a Comment