Friday, August 29, 2014

CATALINA!

  It is official! 

Twenty- six miles across the sea
Santa Catalina is a-waitin' for me
Santa Catalina, the island of romance, romance, romance, romance

Actually, romance isn't waiting for me there and it is only 22 miles, but golf is waiting. I am finally going to play Catalina Golf Course.  Thank you Mark!
     You probably didn't know that Catalina Island had a golf course.  It does, and a good one at that.  It is a 9 hole track, 18 from a second set of tees, set in the canyons above Avalon the main town on Catalina. I have been told that it is the oldest golf course west of the Mississippi River that has been in continuous operation since it was opened as a three hole course.  I don't want to totally get into the history of the course, but I do want to let you know that I have been invited to play the course and do a You-Tube video and feature it on my website.  I will also let you know what the course was like here on my blog. 
     Catalina and I go back about 18 years to the first Carnival Cruise I took there in 1996 with my family.  Each time I have been there it has been on a cruise ship as a port of call. I have been there several times and have yet to totally explore the island. I'm told that there is a lot to see, especially the buffalo.  That's another story. Let's face it folks, I am a golfer, not a naturalist.  I tend to focus in on what golf options there are in a location. On this trip we took a golf cart tour and it stopped at the course. at the time I didn't stop in, but I did say, hmmm--I have to play this course some day. 
     I have been to the course several time and have chatted in depth with Mark the pro there.  He is a great guy to talk to. You can tell he really knows his course taking the time to talk about it at great leangth. Every time I go up there, he remembers me and always cordially invites me to experience his course. To this point I have been unable to play the course for a number of reasons while I'm there. I have decided it is time and so in a couple of weeks, again on a cruise I am going to play the course and take pictures.  I only hope that what I produce is as good as it can be. 
    I have some other stories that I will share with you as the time gets closer about my visits to Catalina Golf Course.  I have to run now.  Don't forget to visit my website, http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com.  If you would also be so kind to take a look at my new video about The Golf Course Travel Bag and myself on You Tube, I would truly appreciate it.  don't make me beg. Here is the URL http://youtu.be/2VSgOYis-M8
 and I hope you will enjoy it as well as my other videos you can find on my website.  Just remember to hit 'em long and straight...don't leave that birdie putt short.  One last thing, it's only 22 miles.
Yes Virgina, there really is a golf course on Catalina Island. Move your finger when you take the picture, will you.  Sorry, I'm not used to taking pictures with a phone.  Isn't that what a camera is for?

No comments:

Post a Comment