Thursday, August 21, 2014

Money, Money, Money--Part 3

     Yes, I am a couple of days late with this post.  I took my time and thought about what I was going to write.  Do you believe that?  Actually, I got caught with some personal business that took a bit more time than I thought.  If you can forgive me for that, I would appreciate that. Come on now, I came clean and told the truth.  I could have told you that I was abducted by aliens and was studied and operated on in their mother ship, but I was truthful with you so cut me some slack please. Enough fun for the day, let's cut to the chase.
     The decline in the number of golfers playing golf is simple economics.  Two things have happened.  First, supply had outpaced demand and secondly the economic situation throughout the world has changed. With a shortage of courses and demand high, green fees skyrocketed.  Put very simply, the boom times of a strong economy are over and they built too many golf courses. With demand high, supply low and a booming economy, people were willing to pay the price to play. The economy goes bust people make choices and golf was a luxury that they could cut out. The same is true for overpriced equipment.  To sum it up, not enough money and too many choices for the consumer as to places to play or spend their money on other things in many cases more important.
     Where do we go from here as to growing the game again? First, we have to realize that "water seeks its own level". There has been a downturn and I don't know if we have seen the bottom of it.  However, I am an optimist and it will come back and grow again. I see some changes being made in the industry that will stop the trend.
     Real estate was a problem.  Developers saw the growth of golf and the rosy projection as to how the game and economy were going to grow and built developments around golf courses. The bust of 2008 came and there was no money to invest in lands or upscale homes. Buyers for their homes evaporated because of not having the money to purchase. The courses were private and memberships were not sold to support the course and development. In many cases, the house of cards the developers built fell down and the courses closed. This is sad I have to admit, but it is necessary to return golf to health. Just like you prune a tree of limbs for the good of the tree, some courses that can't make it have to close.
     I am getting a bit wordy and long here so I think I will stop and continue this in my next post. We haven't explored green fees and the cost of equipment so I will leave that to the next post. I do have a lot to say about that.
     One of my favorite things to do is to travel. In most cases, golf is included in those travels. I would like to put together a golf trip to a location in California that is affordable. It won't be Pebble Beach, but it will be a great golf location.  I was thinking perhaps the San Diego area, The Monterey area to play a couple of the little known courses such as DeLaveaga or Crazy Horse. We could even include Bayonet/Blackhorse.  We could also do San Francisco or some other area.  I don't know, what are your thoughts. I would like to center this trip around courses that are not that well known, but are a treat to play. Costs will be kept down. PLEASE give me some feedback on this.  I should have more information on this on my website http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com.  Check out my You-Tube videos as well. They are on the site as well. I have launched a newsletter to go along with the website so watch out for that.
     Hit 'em long and straight and don't leave that birdie putt short.
The seventh hole at Stevinson Ranch. They have some great par threes.




                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment