Wednesday, October 9, 2024

What Makes A Great Golf Course?

    Have you ever wondered what makes a great golf course? In my 55 years of playing the great game, I have played a lot of courses, some great and some not. Let's take a minute here and talk about what I think makes a great golf course.

     I have to confess that I am an "Old Style" golf course kind of guy.  A well designed course in among a grove of trees with small, fast greens is really what I love. You don't have to have forced carries and enough water to mimic the Pacific Ocean in order to make a wonderful layout. Greens don't have to be the size of Siberia in order to make up a great course and those greens don't have to be faster than the cars running at Daytona Speedway on the third weekend in February--I'm a NASCAR fan so I thought I would throw that in--just fast enough to get a good roll to the hole.
     What do I think make a "Great Course"?   Recently I stopped to think about that and maybe it is time to share those attributes to you.  Remember now, I am an eighteen handicap player so this is more from the point of view of an average player.  You also have to keep in mind that I am not a course designer and these are my opinions.  Please feel free to disagree with any of these points.  I give you that permission.

1.)  The course has to be enjoyable to a player who has never played the course before.  Let me explain this. I have played a lot of courses that have required a lot of local knowledge as far as where to place the ball on certain shots. Many times I have hit what I thought was a good shot, and the ball winds up somewhere that cost me a lot of strokes. It went there because of the course design and not how I hit the shot. Local knowledge is fine, but don't penalize a player who has never played the course.

2.)  I feel that forced carries are OK and add to the character of a course.  However, a great course allows the player to carry the "carry" and not have to pull off an impossible shot to get over the barranca or water hazard. I have played courses like that where there is no way I am going to get over the barranca or water hazard. Not all players like to "go for it" or do they have that ability.  There should be a safe landing area for laying up. You can have forced carries, but make them so there is a bailout area or they are at least "carryable" for the average golfer.

3.)  Greens should be fair and not punitive.  There should be break and they can be lightning fast but don't make them putt like the holes on the local miniature golf course.  Ant hills don't have any place on a real golf course.

4.)  The course should not be so "gimmicked" up that it is not enjoyable to play.  In other words, why have a hole that has a creek running through it where the average golfer cannot find the proper landing areas?  I can see double fairways, but don't punish the average golfer with an impossibly long shot into the green after hitting the shorter route fairway. The course should reward a good shot, not penalize the golfer with an impossible next shot.  And don't tell me to play the forward tees either, because you are still not going to make it over that barranca.

5.)  I like an "Old Style" golf course. Greens don't have to be fast, but they need to putt true and be well maintained.  I prefer courses that have tree lined fairways, but I enjoy "links style" golf as long as the course isn't "tricked up".  Undulations in the fairways are good and the course does not have to be flat. The course should basically say, "I'm an old school course.  I'm not going to throw anything funny at you.  Take your best shot and beat me if you can."  Riverside Golf Course in Fresno, California and Bayonet Golf Course in Seaside California come to mind when I say that.

6)  I'm going to show my West Coast bias here.  One of the things that make a course a "Great Course" is a course that is on, has views of or you can hear The Pacific Ocean.  That's all I'm going to say about that one. It kind of speaks for itself.

     That's my list.  Of course it is only my opinion.
What can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment