Thursday, February 9, 2012

Winter Golf

     We who love the game will play no matter what the conditions.  Here in Central California we are blessed with a climate that we are able to do that.  Courses in this area of California do not close, and our season is year round.
     Don't get me wrong, there are times when it just doesn't look like you are going to get your round in.  I remember playing in the very infrequent rain.  There were times when the fog was so bad that the ball was just barely visible at your feet and you would hit the shot by faith. Bottom line on this is that we still played and we are able to play.
     We get our frost delays, and yes I have played in a very rare snowstorm.  Nevertheless, we play.  Frost delays can run up to a couple of hours, but it is worth the wait to freeze your behind off for a great round of golf. The quarter skins game is much more important than the feeling in our fingers and toes.
     Monday I will be on assignment at Hunter Ranch in Paso Robles evaluating the course for the golf magazine I write for.  A couple of weeks ago, I visited the course and it was fairly green and lush.  Yes, it was in its winter shape, but nevertheless it was in good shape and green. The head pro was almost embarrased to have us take pictures of the course.
Here in the valley during the winter we play on dormant bermuda which turns golden brown after the first frost and the temperatures dip.  The areas around the greens are overseeded with winter rye grass and remain green.  The greens of course stay green all year round.
     This year we have had a very mild winter.  We have had our frost delays, but the temperatures have been close to the sixties for most of the winter.  It seems that we are now getting into our spring, and it is early.  The forcast for today in for the daytime high to be in the high sixties.  Soon, the grass on the the  course will green up and it will come time for the dreaded but neccessary aeration. 
      I know those of you that are snowbound are dreaming about the soon to arrive spring and and summer to follow.  Be patient, it will be here before you know it. When your coursed open, they will be lush and green.  Feel sorry for me, I have to play on dormant bermuda. As for me, I must go.  I don't want to miss my tee time.

No comments:

Post a Comment