Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Cherry Island--Elverta Clifornia

     When I lived in the Sacramento area in the early 80's the golf options were few. You had to get up very early and wait on hold for a tee time anywhere in the area.  There were only a few courses available to the golfing public. What would happen is, you would wind up at Haggin Oaks to play the red and blue courses, because that was the only choice you had. I'm not saying that Haggin Oaks is not a bad course and I did enjoy playing the MacKenzie course which back then was called The Eighteen Course. Those were your options.
     Things have changed dramatically in Sacramento and the Sacramento area. Just after I left, there was an explosion of  course building, and now Sacramento has a large number of golf options.  As I talked to some of the pros in the area, almost too many. There are some truly great courses in the Sacramento area and I guess I just need to bite the bullet and spend a week playing as many as I can to write about them and photograph them.
     When I was there, Sacramento Department of Parks and Recreation was considering building another course somewhere in the north of Sacramento to take off some of the pressure on their other Sacramento course, Ancil Hoffman. They finally decided it was time, and created Cherry Island.
     I finally got to play Cherry Island a couple of weeks ago.  Much had been said to me about the course, all good of course. I wanted to play it, so when I took my wife to the Sacramento airport I decided if  I had to be up there I might as well put the time to good use and work. I am glad that I did.
     When you look up in the dictionary the definition of "target golf"  you will find a picture of Cherry Island. You definitely have to hit your spots on the course to score well. It helps if you know those spots if you have played the course before. yes, It is a "target golf" course, but I did think that it was fair. As the course winds through the oaks and environmental creek areas, you have to hit your spots.  I didn't.
     Speaking of the oaks and the setting of the course, it is very picturesque with two creeks running through the course. The course designer, famous course designer Robert Muir Graves paid very close attention to the environment as he designed the course around the property which was a Cherry Orchard at one time. The fun starts on the first hole which is a dog leg right where you have to carry a creek that runs through the middle of the hole. You must keep your ball in the fairway, because there is the creek to the right and left as well as environmental areas that surround the hole. It's a lot of fun, trust me on this.
     The course was in fantastic shape, with the greens running at about a 9 on the stimp and putting true. I am not going to review the course in depth here, I will do that on my website. What I have done is produced a U-Tube video that you can go to and see the course and some of the pictures that I took while playing the course. Here's the link, I hope you enjoy it. http://youtu.be/8Yv4tgMLZAA
     I enjoyed playing Cherry Island and recommend it highly. The pro shop staff was friendly and helpful, especially when they had to put up with me and my constant batter. That's it for now. Remember to take a look at my website.  If you are out of town and want to find a course to play, take a look.  Someone asked me how many courses I have played and reviewed and I guess it is close to 100. Each course in my directory I have personally played and experienced.  You will also find some helpful golf tip videos and some course videos as well.  Go to http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com and take a look. I would appreciate the view. Hit 'em long and sraight, don't leave that birdie putt short.


















No comments:

Post a Comment