Sunday, July 27, 2014

My "Top Ten Favorite Courses I Have Played" List

     You really have backed me into a corner. Many of you have asked me to commit to writing about my favorite ten courses. Let me get one thing straight. All the courses I have played are my favorite. If they have green grass, good greens, a good layout that is fair and some good fairways and I am playing them at the moment, it is my favorite. I know that that is very noncommittal, but sorry I love golf and the courses I play. So, if you ask me what my favorite course is, I would say the one I am playing right now.
     I promised you a list of ten.  Now remember, these are not in any particular order. Please also keep in mind that these are the courses I am thinking about that come to mind off the top of my head. The list is not comprehensive either.  Here  is my list.

1.  Trump National Los Angeles:  The layout of the course and the views of the Pacific Ocean will truly take your breath away. You can see more of this beautiful course by going to my website and reading about it as well as viewing the video. I want to go back and play it, even though the green fee is over $200. Check it out on my website http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com.

2.  Pacific Grove, Pacific Grove, Ca.:  Yep, this really is a poor man't Pebble Beach. It is short, but can give you a headache if you can't make some shots. Views of the Pacific from the back nine will make you stop in mid round and take in all the beauty.  The Pacific Ocean is right across the street and you can literally see and hear the waves crashing on the rocks.  The course isn't anything to gripe about as well. It is a lot of fun and challenging.

3.  Bayonet/Blackhorse, Seaside, Ca. (Monterey Area):  It seems as though many of my favorite courses happen to be in Monterey.  I'm sorry for that, but if you have ever been to Monterey and played golf, you know what I'm talking about. These tow courses are located on the former Fort Ord Army Base in the hills above Monterey which has been closed for a long time. The courses are now owned by The City Of Seaside and are open to the public. Both courses have been renovated and offer some great vistas of Monterey Bay.  The courses aren't too shabby as well with some lush fairways which are lined by Monterey Cyprus trees and some great greens.

4.  Monterey Pines, Monterey, Ca.: Shhhhh!!!!!Don't tell anyone about this one. This course is very well known to golfers who live in Monterey. They know this great track as "The Navy Course" as it is owned by The U.S. Navy and is located above the fairgrounds on the grounds of The Naval Post Graduate School. It is a short course, but very well maintained and tricky.  The greens are always in great shape and the fairways are narrow. This course is truly Monterey's best kept golf secret.

5.  Moro Bay Golf Course, Morro Bay, Ca.:  I really love this course, not because of the beautiful views of Morro Bay and the fact that it is a kick to play but because I have decided that I am a very crazy person. With that said, if you are already crazy this case will not take you there because you already are crazy. It is a great layout, set in the pines above Morro Bay and Morro Bay State Park. I am not sure that there is a level lie on the course but the greens are what sets this course apart. You will be saying things like, "I swear that putt was uphill!" as you ball rolls ten feet past the hole on what was originally a two footer. How about, "Did that break right two feet?  There's no way, just look at that.  It has to break left.". Prepare for a lot of fun when you play Morro Bay.

6.  Metro West, Orlando, Florida: I got to play this course when I was on vacation in Florida.  The kids wanted to go to Disney World and I didn't because they wanted to go to a different kingdom than I did. I played golf here instead.  I found it by accident. The course had some great greens, which were Bermuda by the way. It is an adventure putting on Bermuda Grass. I enjoyed this course very much and found out that grass grows very quickly in Florida and 85 degrees isn't necessarily 85 degrees.

7.  Stevinson Ranch, Stevinson, Ca.: Out in what seems to be the middle of nowhere admidst the farmland, dairies and cattle ranches of the western Central Valley of California lies the little town of Stevinson.  Who would of thought one of the best public golf courses in the United States would be located here.  It is. Stevinson Ranch is a "links style" course which is a lot of fun to play. Although it is basically flat, there is a lot of areas you can get yourself into a ton of trouble. The greens here are large and undulating.  What a kick in the pants.  You can see more of Stevinson in pictures and work by going to my website at http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com where you can watch the video I shot there.

8.  Ridge Creek, Dinuba, Ca.:  Many of you will ask where in the world is Dinuba, Ca? It is a few miles south of Reedley out in the peach orchards. Is there a golf course there?  Yes, there is and it is a good wone.  It is owned by the City of Dinuba and you just wouldn't think that a smalltown would have such a great course.  It does.  This is a "links style" course which has the feel of a course in Scotland. Keep the ball on the fairway, and don't get into any of the fairway or greenside bunkers Laddie, or your score will certainly soar. The pro shop staff is very friendly and helpful.  Hi Rosa, I'm going to come and take pictures of your course soon and do a video.

9.  Sherwood Forest, Reedley, Ca.:  Who would of thought that Reedley would have a course, let alone Dinuba. Whereas Ridge Creek is just out side of Dinuba, Sherwood Forest is out of town about 10 miles and set on the Kings River.  The River runs though this course which is one of the most picturesque courses in the Central Valley. They built this course in a grove of 100 plus year old oak trees with the river running through the course and in play on several holes. The fifteenth is my favorite.  What a beautiful and natural place for a golf course not on the ocean.

10.  Riverside Golf Course, Fresno, Ca.:  Home, what can I say. When E.T. says, "E.T. phone home." he means another planet.  When I phone home, I call Riverside for a tee time. That's not true Denise, but it sounded good. At any rate, Riverside has been my home course for a long time except when I had my membership at River Bend in Madera.  I grew up in golf on Riverside, and it is a great "Old Parkland Style Course".  You can see more of Riverside at my website in my U-Tube page.  Yes it was 108 degrees, but we loved every minute of playing this classic course.

     That's basically it for now. You know I can't boil down all the courses I have played to my ten favorite, that is impossible.  I haven't even scratched the surface.  Stay tuned.
     As I have mentioned, these courses are on my website. Some of the courses have videos, so go to my website and take a look.  Got to http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com and take a look. Until next time, hit 'em long and straight.  Of course, don't you dare leave that birdie putt short.
The short par four  8th at Stevinson Ranch. And the hits just keep on comin'. 





    


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment