Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Ten Things I Like In Golf

     I thought about something to write about today in my blog and It was very hard to come up with a subject. I thought and I thought--which as you know if you read my other blog is a very hard thing for me--an mind was blank.  Many of you think this is a common occurrence for me, but actually it isn't.  In fact my mind races all the time.  The problem is I have to focus all those thoughts. Maybe it is time to return to the subject at hand and that is golf. Needless to say, I was having a hard time coming up with something.
    I love the game of golf. What do I like, or should I say love, about the game. If I were to boil it down to ten things I love about the game, what would they be? There are so many things I love about the game, why just ten? I have decided on ten today, because I like that number and I only have limited time and space here to share these with you. In the coming months, you may see more posts about the things I love in golf but today it will be just ten. These are not in any particular order, either and here we go.

1.  I enjoy meeting new people. Many times I will go to the golf course by myself and take pot luck as far as getting up a game. On the first tee, generally I have never met the people I would be playing with. By about the third hole, it is like we have been friends forever. Yes, you do get some guys and galls who are not friendly and don't interact, but generally a good conversation strikes up during the round and by the 18th hole it is like you have known the people you are playing with forever. I like that and golf is the common denominator.

2.  Of course I would have to say the 19th hole. What a lot of people who don't play golf don't understand is that golf is a social game.  Yes, it is fun to play the game but it is also a lot of fun to interact with the people you have played with.  It is fun to hash out the round and to tell some tall golf tales over a soda or lunch at the coffee shop or bar after the round.

3. The sound of a club hitting the ball. There is nothing like it in any other sport.  Baseball has the crack of the bat, but golf has the clunk of the ball hitting the club. That sound, whether it is a good hit or bad miss is still one of the greatest sounds in sport.  It has changed over the years, especially with the woods no longer being made of wood but the sound is still music to my ears.

4.  Sinking a fifty footer on the putting green can make your heart sing. It doesn't matter if it is for birdie or triple bogey, it still is a thrill when it goes in from the cheap seats.

5.  How about taking out a new dozen golf balls and playing them.  It doesn't matter what brand they are and yes I do prefer Titleist but it doesn't matter the brand. When you take that dozen out and open the first sleeve, the newest of the balls and how shiny they are brings a warm and fuzzy feeling. It is too bad they won't stay new for long.

6.  I would have to say that if I did have a most favorite thing, and my mind would change often, is that my wife plays golf.  She is very competitive as well.  Plus, she knows how to play the game. I don't have to baby her around the course, and I wouldn't want too.  She played basketball, volleyball and softball in college as well as almost going pro in softball.  She know her way around sports.  I very much enjoy the time we spend together on the course.

7.  Along those same lines, I am glad that I have two of my children who play golf.  On is actually starting to give lessons and she is going to get her Class A pro degree.  My son plays as well and loves the game.

8.  I like to hit the green in regulation.  I don't very often right now because I am not playing as much.  When I have that six footer for birdie, which I used to make with regularity but since I don't play much I don't, makes me feel giddy.

9.  Which brings me to the next thing, which goes along with number eight. Believe me it is doesn't happen very often, especially now.  That is sinking that putt for birdie. YES!

10.  Taking pictures of golf courses. I really enjoy sharing those courses I have played in pictures and in words. There is nothing like the feeling of setting up a shot--picture--of a green when the sun is low in the sky. The lighting itself makes it all worth the while.

     That's about it for now. Don't forget to check out my website at http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com.  Remember to hit 'em long and straight.  Don't hit that birdie putt short.
What a great game!

No comments:

Post a Comment