Friday, January 27, 2012

Golf, Fun, Food and Fog...The Ridge Creek Senior Tourney

     When I turned 50, I reached a milestone in my life.  To many people, this is quite a time of change in their lives.  As far as I am concerned it is the best time of my life and life is getting better.  One of the perks of turning 50 is that you can qualify for senior tournaments.  The Dinuba Senior Tournament held at Ridge Creek Golf Course each month and hosted by the course with Gene Hardy as the director of the tournament is one of high points of my life after 50.  It is one big kick in the butt!
      The format of the tournament is a blind-draw 4 person scramble.  I like this because it gives you a chance to meet people you have never met or played with before and of all different skill levels .  Players come from all over the central California area as far away as Oakhurst in the north and Porterville in the south.  In our group...we played a fivesome...was Norm, Bob, Willie, Pete and myself.  Honestly, I can't remember who was from where but I know the cites were spread around a large geographical area and the towns were Oakhurst, Fresno, Dinuba, Reedley and Visalia. 
      I was worried that the turnout for today's tourney was going to be down because of the weather conditions as it was foggy and the fog was very thick.  It turned out this did not deter the enthusiasm of the group and there was a very good turnout of 90 golfers.  There were of course the usual gripes of playing in the fog. The fog, in my opinion, made the round more interesting.
      The winners of the tournament as well as closest to the pin on two of the par threes was announced at lunch after the tournament.  The three top teams win a small amount of money for winning and there is also a drawing for some pretty good prizes. 







      Who won?  I don't know.  That isn't the purpose of this tournament.  As you looked around the room at those having lunch after playing in the tournament, the whole thing is about golfers getting together and having a great time.         

No comments:

Post a Comment