Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Technology...Part Two

     I used my G.P.S. yesterday in my round.  We played at my home course, and I know that course like the back of my hand.  The device came in handy a few times, but I found myself relying on the thing a little bit too much. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great tool.  How much of the game does it take away, at least how the game was played, or intended to be played?
     Here is my point.  When I first began to play the game, figuring distances was a key part to the game.  Until recently, that was a big part of the enjoyment of the game.  Distances were a part of the participation of the game.  You found the distance marker...100, 150 or 200 yards...made your calulations as far as distance to the hole, selected your club based on that distance and hit your shot.  After playing the game for 40 years, you get pretty good at estimating those distances and hitting your shot accordingly.  This is becoming a lost art. 
     G.P.S. is a good thing, I will admit that and has its place and I use it.  When I go to a new course, it is great to have exact distances.  But it still takes a mental component out of the came, and I still enjoy the mental challange of figuring out distances without technology.   

No comments:

Post a Comment