Friday, September 12, 2014

Get Fit And Play Better Golf--Part 3

     I just got back from the gym a few minutes ago and am now enjoying my first cup of coffee of the day.  I feel great and I have lost four pounds since Monday.  I know the weight loss is prob ably just water, but it feels good.  My blood pressure is also down and I haven't taken my medications this morning.  That will come later after breakfast. Life is good and the quality of my life is getting better. My game should improve.
     My workout routing as I said before includes cardio, a stretching routine which includes loosening my bad back, crunches and leg lifts with the whole thing finishing up with a circuit training weight lifting component. Later, to reward myself for the work that I am doing I will spend some time in the sauna and the jacuzzi. This works very well for me, and the key is being consistent.  I loose weight quickly.  The funny thing is that when I work out, I'm not as hungry either, so I do shed the pounds.
     How does all of this effect my game. I know what the experts would say, but I want to tell it from my point of view but the experts are very much right.  My game improves when I work out.
     In my case, I see a marked improvement in my game in four areas.  Today I will talk briefly about two of those areas.  Remember now, this is a sharing of my experience although I am sure that others have had similar results.  I can generate more club speed and have more strength. These two are related in that I can hit the ball farther. I can also say that my stamina improves and my attitude becomes more positive which I will talk about in a later blog.
     I can tell that I am becoming a bit more flexible.  This translates to swinging the club with more speed without exerting more energy.  As my weight goes down and my muscles tone, I don't have as much bulk to move. The energy that I am expending is more efficient and translates into moving the club, not excess weight. Believe me, taking away thirty pounds of  "dead weight" fat and replacing it with muscle creates a definitely more powerful swing. The ball goes farther because the club is traveling faster with the energy of the swing being more efficient to the task at hand, that of striking the ball, not clumsily moving dead weight in order to swing the club.
     With the toning of muscles comes added strength. The mere fact that you are able to do more because your muscles are working better is very important. You become stronger because you are working your muscles, not sitting at a computer writing a blog or a book all day. I picked up at least 15 yards on my drives and about one club distance in my game after I started working out. You become stronger and the club becomes easier to swing and feels lighter. Since you are stronger and a bit lighter, you can control the club much better. Simple, isn't it?
     In Part 4 I will cover the other two aspects of my quest for conditioning. In the meantime, don't forget to visit the sites of my sponsors, they are all good people. GolfSmith has some great deals going on now and you can't go wrong using TripAdvisor. I you could also click on my website http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com, there is a lot going on there too. I am including one of my videos here http://youtu.be/_Kx3Qrv18IE about Stevinson Ranch in Stevinson, California. It is about the tournament I played in using the TaylorMade 15 inch cups. So, hit 'em long and straight.  Remember that it is embarrassing to leave a perfectly good birdie putt short.  I have on many occasions.
Weight loss, strength and greater flexibility would allow me to have a better follow through and weight transfer to my front foot. Hey, I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment