Monday, September 29, 2014

Ryder Cup Thoughts--Part 3

     Yet again, my mind reluctantly comes to thoughts of the Ryder Cup.  I wasn't going to comment about the loss to the Europeans as my opinion is that it is what it is. We lost, It's just that plain and simple. I will give you the simple, unabridged version about why we lost.
     The reason we lost has to do with mathematics. Here it is.  The Europeans had 161/2 points and we had 121/2. You can discuss it all you want to, but those are the facts. The U.S. Team got beat, and beat bad. That is the bottom line.
     I do have to ask a question here. How important were statistics to Tom Watson.  What was the criteria that he used to make the pairings? I have to admit that I didn't look at this question very closely, but it did have to come up.  I think that Phil Mickelson's comments at the Ryder Cup news conference may have had a ring of truth to them, but I don't know.
     Maybe Tom Watson should have used the pods system and broke the competition down into segments.  Who knows. Maybe Phil should have played in the afternoon, I don't know. We will never know if this would have changed the outcome. Phil is a tough competitor, and any tough competitor hates to be pulled from the game. Let me share what I do know and that is that Europe is coming over here in 2016, and we will see what happens then.
     Please visit some of my sponsor's websites and see what they have to offer.  There are some great specials running on Golfsmith right now so check them out. In the meantime, hit 'em long and straight. Don't leave that birdie putt short!
Kind of a Scottish feel to it, eh Laddie?

No comments:

Post a Comment